Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

DIY Body Form

I will eventually own a professional seamstress body form but for now I needed one that was affordable and that actually replicates my true body shape. I looked at several different tutorials on the web and found the most simple one. Make sure you have a partner because you can't really tape yourself. Supplies can be found at Home Depot or Lowe's and Joann's.

Supplies:

  • 2-3 Rolls of Heavy Duty duct tape (I did the last layer in white but you could use gold, pink, blue, pattern)
  • Piece of card board
  • 5-6 packages of stuffing
  • wooden dowel
  • bucket
  • fast setting cement
  • turtle neck, mini dress, skirt ( or any piece of old clothing you don't mind cutting)
I had my handy husband help me with this project. 


  • He wrapped my entire body with duct tape using long and short strips starting at my hips and moving up. It is important to do at least two layers so it holds a shape. I am slightly claustrophobic so I had him do my neck last. Yes you will sweat so I encourage you drink a lot of water before and to do this in a well ventilated area (outside).
  • Once you have covered your body with duct tape cut directly up the middle of your back. 
  • Remove the form and tape back together securely.
  • Begin stuffing your form without causing lumps. There maybe a little distortion when done but that is why it is important to stuff carefully and a little at a time.
  • Next stick the wooden dowel through the middle of form until it goes through the top. Tape in place.
  • Cut out an oval (measure length and width of opening) to fit the base opening of your dress form. Cut a hole in center of card board for the dowel.
  • Tape card board securely.
  • Mix up your cement and pour into bucket.
  • Stick wooden dowel into cement and prop form against wall so it is straight as possible and won't fall over.
  • Cement should set within a couple hours. 
And there you have it. An inexpensive body form. I plan to make another one when I have lost a few pounds and I will take better pictures of the process.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips